Usually made from a soft and flexible PVC material, exercise balls can be used at home or in fitness gyms. While exercise balls may look as if they are all of the same size, especially in gyms where most balls come in one size; there are actually several different sizes for this type of ball.
Why is Choosing the Right Size Important?
Getting the right size of an exercise ball that is suitable for you is very important because this greatly contributes to the effectiveness of your exercise regimen.
In addition, the right ball size will tremendously reduce the risk of incurring exercise-related injuries such as pulled muscles, sprains, backaches and such.
Choosing the size of an exercise ball that will most benefit you is not as simple as looking at different sizes and then picking one out at random. Some physical fitness trainers will recommend getting a size that corresponds to your height.
Size of an Exercise Ball Based on a Person’s Height
Before you begin to choose which size of an exercise ball to get, it is best to check out the recommended ball diameter for your specific height.
Bear in mind however, that the recommendations given below are based on the assumption that your estimated body weight is proportionate to your height.
The recommended size of an exercise ball for each specific height range is as follows:
– For a person with a height of 5 feet and below, the recommended ball diameter is forty-five centimeters or roughly about 17.72 inches.
– Someone who stands between 5 feet and 1 inch, and 5 feet and 8 inches tall; the recommended ball diameter is fifty-five centimeters or approximately 21.65 inches.
– For a person who is around 5 feet and 9 inches tall up to 6 feet and 2 inches tall, the recommended diameter for the exercise ball is around sixty-five centimeters or about 25.59 inches.
– If you are between 6 feet and 3 inches tall, and 6 feet and 7 inches tall; the size of an exercise ball you should consider should be at least seventy-five centimeters in diameter or about 29.52 inches.
– Finally, if you are around 6 feet and 8 inches tall or taller; the size of an exercise ball you should consider getting is approximately 85 centimeters in diameter or around 33.46 inches.