Ladders come in a number of different sizes. Getting the right size will not only help you do your task at hand more efficiently but more importantly, it can keep you safe and secure, preventing falling off accidents and such.
Ladder sizes are determined by the height of the area that you want to reach. Get one that’s either too low or too high can result in accidents that could have been prevented.
Standard Ladder Sizes
To help you determine what ladder size is appropriate for the task that you have to do, below is a list of the general sizes that ladders come in. These are ones that you can easily get from your local hardware store.
These are typically stationary ladders which means that these do not come with extension features. The list below provides information on the stepladder size that you need based on the assumption of a maximum of 12-inch reach.
- Three-foot ladder – this is ideal for reaching something up to seven feet high
- Four-foot ladder – this is recommended for heights up to a maximum of eight feet
- Five-foot ladder – this can help you reach a maximum height of nine feet
- Six-foot ladder – great for a maximum height of ten feet
- Seven-foot ladder – ideal for a maximum height of eleven feet
- Eight-foot ladder – this is recommended for reaching a maximum height of twelve feet
- Ten-foot ladder – can reach up to a maximum height of fourteen feet
- Twelve-foot ladder – this can reach up to a maximum height of sixteen feet
- Fourteen-foot ladder – this is ideal for reaching a maximum height of eighteen feet
- Sixteen-foot ladder – can reach up to a maximum height of twenty feet
Extension ladders provide you with an additional height level which make them ideal for outdoor work. These are also perfect for reaching your ceiling and the top of your walls for paint jobs and redecoration projects.
The list below give you an extension of three feet above the roof line.
- Sixteen-foot ladder – this is recommended for reaching a height to gutter or support point of up to a maximum of nine feet
- Twenty-foot ladder – this is ideal for areas with a maximum height of nine to thirteen feet
- Twenty-four – foot ladder – recommended for areas with a maximum height of thirteen to seventeen feet
- Twenty-eight – foot ladder – this is recommended for maximum heights of seventeen to twenty-one feet
- Thirty-two – foot ladder – ideal for a maximum height of twenty-one to twenty-five feet
- Thirty-six – foot ladder – you may use this for areas with a maximum height of twenty-five to twenty-eight feet
- Forty-foot ladder – this is ideal for maximum heights of twenty-eight to thirty-one feet