A roasting oven is a must-have for every kitchen. It is where you can cook roast meats for every special occasion or even just regular family dinners – turkey, beef, pork ribs, chicken, lamb, etc.
Basically, a roasting oven is a countertop appliance that is quite smaller than a regular oven. It is compact, very easy to store, and pretty simple to manage. It works almost similar to a conventional oven, only it cooks food much faster because of its size.
Having a roasting oven around your kitchen is also good thing if you have small children who are beginning to learn how to cook. It is a more appropriate playground for them before taking a plunge into the world of conventional ovens.
How Big is a Roasting Oven?
As mentioned earlier, a roaster or a roasting oven is smaller than your regular oven. The size varies but the range is between 15 cubic centimeters and 60 cubic centimeters.
Choosing your roasting oven according to size matters a lot. That tells of the oven’s capacity to roast. Do not expect a small roasting oven to be able to cook a medium-sized turkey. You might need a two-cubic foot unit for that. If all you need a roaster for is cooking regular family meals or as a supplement to your regular oven, you may well make do with a smaller size, which is definitely cheaper.
Roasting is Tricky
As much as it tastes good, roasting meat can be tricky. It is pretty difficult to achieve juicy, moist, and tender meat after popping it into the roaster if you are not well informed how certain meats are cooked and how ovens actually work. Here are a few helpful guidelines:
* Roasting is a cooking method deemed appropriate for large chunks of meats such as hams or turkeys.
* Make sure that you arrange your meat fat side up before you pop it into the roaster.
* Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest part of the meat to ensure that it is cooked through.
* When your roast is done, make sure to let it sit for a few minutes, at least 10-15 minutes, before carving or serving it.
* Use a sharp carving knife along with a long-handle fork to keep your roast looking good even when it is already on the dinner plate. The fork will help keep the meat stable so you are able to make evenly slices of meat according to your or your guests’ desired thickness.