Dining Table Dimensions
A dining table serves different purposes for different people. For some, it is used to hold important functions or get-togethers (i.e. during the holidays and some other special occasions). For some, it serves as an everyday dining area for the members of the household. For some, it not only serves a place to eat but to work and socialize as well.
When you are buying a dining table, therefore, you must be clear of the functions it will play around your home. The other factors to be considered will follow.
Once you have decided on the specific function of the dining table, it is time to decide on another important consideration: the size. Dining table dimensions vary depending on how many people you would need to sit into it. Some homemakers, however, even go as far along as having theirs customized to fit into the kind of household they have.
The first thing to consider when choosing the appropriate dining table dimension is the space you are putting it in. There must be enough room left in the dining area after you arrange your dining table. There must also be enough room for each person who will be seated at the dining table to move around.
The basic measurements to keep in mind when shopping for a dining table are as follows:
– Your dining table should have a width of at least 36 inches or 90 centimeters. A dining table with a smaller width or which is narrower than that would give you very little space at the center for serving dishes.
– Your dining table should have at least 48 inches or 120 centimeters clearance between the back of the chair and the wall. There must be enough room for traffic to pass through comfortably.
– Your dining table should give each person who will be seated at least 24 inches or 60 centimeters of elbow room to move freely.
Different Dining Table Dimensions
Dining tables appear in different shapes and styles as much as they vary in size. Please find a listing of dining table dimensions for your reference:
- For Four to Six Persons: 28” x 46” to 42” x 54”
- For Six to Eight Persons: 36” x 56” to 42” x 64”
- For Eight to Ten Persons: 42″ x 72″ to 42″ x 84”
- For Ten to Twelve Persons: 42″ x 90″ to 42″ x 96”
- For Twelve to Sixteen Persons: 42″ x 100″ to 42″ x 120″
Round Tables: (in diameter)
- For Four Persons: 36” to 44”
- For Four to Six Persons: 44” to 54”
- For Six to Eight Persons: 60” to 70”