Bikes come in different sizes to enable riders, whether kids or adults, to easily manipulate and control the bike decreasing chances of accidents.
A bike size for kids is determined differently from bike sizes for adults. For kids, the size of the wheels usually determine the appropriate bicycle size for them while for grown-ups, sizes are usually determined by the bike frame and the seat height.
If you’re looking into getting your kids their very first bike, getting them something that will fit them perfectly will not only afford them a safe bike to ride on but will also give them confidence knowing that they can easily control the bike.
To help you find the right bicycle size for your kids, check out the list below for your reference.
- For kids two to five years of age, with an average height of 26 to 34 inches, the recommended wheel size for their bike is about 12 inches.
- For kids four to eight years of age, with an average height of 34 to 42 inches, the recommended bike wheel size is 16 inches.
- For kids six to nine years old, with an average height of 42 to 48 inches, the recommended bike wheel size is 18 inches.
- For kids eight to twelve years of age, with an average height of 48 to 56 inches, the ideal bike wheel size is 20 inches.
- For older kids with an average height of about fifty-six to sixty-two inches, the ideal bike wheel size is 24 inches.
For your guidance, wheel size is determined by the tire diameter.
Bike Riding Safety Tips
First of all, if your kids are not yet used to riding their bikes, you should get one with training wheels. Typically, bikes for toddlers up to five years of age come with training wheels.
Three important safety gears that kids should wear when they ride their bikes are: helmet, elbow pads and knee pads. These will give them the right support should they suddenly fall off their bikes during their ride.
It is likewise very important to check the strength of the helmet to ensure that their heads will be well-protected from head injuries in cases of riding mishaps.
Likewise, choose a helmet that will fit them perfectly for comfort and again, for the right level of protection.